711 Allen Avenue | Saint Louis, MO 63104 | (314) 621-5520
Soulard Shelter is a year-round, night-time emergency shelter for homeless single adult men. The shelter provides beds, meals, showers, laundry, lockers, and a safe, caring alternative to living on the street. We are open from 6 p.m.-7 a.m. every day. The shelter has been housing the homeless since 1981 when it was started by concerned community members after a man froze to death nearby.
- We provide beds for 60 men per night (60 max. capacity)
- More than 50% of residents are employed
- 30% of residents are mentally ill
- 30% of residents have substance abuse problems
- 15% of residents are veterans
COVID-19 forced changes to our normal operation. For two years, we operated at a reduced capacity (maximum of 30 guests) to create safe social distancing. We are again operating at full capacity as of April 2022.
Soulard Shelter staff members direct residents to community resources available to them, including:
- Health and mental health services
- Developmental disability services
- Veteran services
Daytime Services by Appointment Only
- Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday: 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Wednesday and Friday: 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
The shelter is not a drop-in center open to the public. These are expanded hours for current shelter clients and clients who have been referred and need to complete intake paperwork by appointment.
How to Access a Bed
You must have a referral. This shelter does not accept walk-ins and is not open to the public.
- To obtain a referral, call 2-1-1, the United Way Helpline. Ask for access to shelter. The line opens daily at 7:30 a.m. If you do not get a bed at one of the emergency shelters on the first day, continue to try every day early in the morning until a bed is available.
- Visit the St. Patrick Center Welcome Center (800 N. Tucker St., St. Louis, MO 63101) Monday-Friday by 8 a.m. Early arrival suggested.
BHOC and the Soulard Shelter operate under the principles of Housing First and participate in the St. Louis Continuum of Care Coordinated Entry System.